Cyclamen

by Josephine Andrews
Published: Last Updated on 242 views

Occurrence

The home of the cyclamen is actually in the Near East and in Asia Minor. The primrose plant can now be found in many living rooms and is one of the most popular indoor plants.

Looks

Cyclamen is a perennial herb with an underground tuber, the plant’s perennial organ. The leaves are heart-shaped and have long, reddish-pale stalks. They are usually dark green in color with lighter areas. The flowers sit on stalks about 20 centimeters long and have five backward-curved petals. These can have smooth, fringed or wavy edges. There are different flower colors, white, salmon-colored, red or two-tone flowers are common.

Toxic parts

All parts of the cyclamen are poisonous. They contain cyclamine, a very toxic saponin. The tuber contains this poison in a highly concentrated form. Saponins are secondary plant substances that usually taste bitter and can influence the metabolism. Already 0.2 grams of the tuber are considered poisonous, eight grams as a lethal dose.

Possible symptoms

There are several signs of cyclamen poisoning. These include nausea , vomiting, diarrhea, severe stomach pain, sweating, circulatory disorders, cramps and respiratory paralysis. If the poison gets on the skin , a tingling sensation can often be felt.

First aid

Remove any plant debris that may still be in the mouth. Subsequent fluid intake makes sense. Avoid milk, however, because it can promote the absorption of the poison. In any case, consult a doctor, especially if you experience any of the symptoms mentioned above. The poison information center can also provide helpful first aid tips.

useful information

The poison contained in cyclamen is also toxic to dogs, cats and fish. Even small amounts paralyze and stun the animals. Fishermen on Sicily therefore also use the poison for fishing.

You may also like

Leave a Comment