Home Diets and Weight Loss Food combining: How it works

Food combining: How it works

by Josephine Andrews
Published: Last Updated on 199 views

Food combining is a form of nutrition in which protein and carbohydrate-rich foods are eaten separately. In addition, the acid-base balance in the body should be optimized through the targeted selection of foods. There are different forms of the food combining diet, the classic being the so-called Haysche diet. Read here whether the principle of food combining helps with healthy weight loss.

What is food combining?

The classic food combining according to Dr. Hay goes to the American doctor, Dr. Howard Hay, back. He developed this form of diet at the beginning of the 20th century. It is based on the ban on eating high-protein and high-carbohydrate foods together in one meal.

The theory behind it: The human digestive organs could not optimally utilize these nutrients if they were fed to the body at the same time, i.e. in one meal. This separation of protein-rich and carbohydrate-rich foods is intended to buffer excess acids in the body, which lead to obesity and symptoms such as type 2 diabetes or high blood pressure.

In Germany, the food combining diet was made famous by the doctor Ludwig Walb. There are now various forms, such as a vegetarian variant or insulin food combining. Unlike conventional diets, food combining should be maintained as a lifelong change in diet .

This is how food combining works

According to Hay, eating a high-carb diet morning and night is optimal; Protein should be eaten primarily at lunchtime . Legumes are generally forbidden because they contain a lot of protein but also carbohydrates . Pork is also taboo.

According to the food combining plan, meals should consist of 70 percent alkaline-forming foods. This includes salad , vegetables and fruit. The remaining 30 percent should be either high-protein or high-carbohydrate food. Fats belong to the neutral group and are allowed to be combined with all foods.

Another food combining principle: It should be eaten with a high fiber content (whole grain) so that the chyme does not linger in the intestine for so long and starts to ferment. A food combining breakfast could be wholemeal bread with honey, for example. Dishes such as spaghetti bolognese (carbohydrate and protein) for dinner, on the other hand, are eliminated from the menu.

Food combining table: what can be eaten?

According to the food combining table, the following foods are permitted:

  • full grain
  • brown rice
  • potatoes
  • honey, unrefined sugar
  • cold-pressed linseed, olive and wheat germ oil
  • vegetables
  • nuts
  • Herbs
  • Meat, fish, milk, cheese, eggs
  • (Dried) fruit

Which foods should be avoided when combining food?

However, the following are not recommended:

  • White flour
  • polished rice
  • White sugar
  • legumes (dried)
  • hydrogenated fats
  • finished products
  • Black tea, coffee, cocoa
  • vinegar essence, pepper, mustard

That brings food separation

There is no scientific basis for the food combining according to Hay. Today nobody seriously denies that the digestive organs are good at breaking down and utilizing protein and carbohydrates at the same time. In any case, most foods contain both, starting with breast milk.

Overacidification of the organism is also not possible, as the acid-base balance in the body is kept in balance by buffer systems.

The plus points: Haysche food combining can actually help you lose weight, as it recommends lots of fruit, vegetables and whole grain products and limits meat consumption. Sufficient dietary fiber as well as micro and macronutrients are taken in, which is healthy overall.

In addition, those who want to lose weight have to consciously deal with their diet – thanks to the specifications of food combining such as the differentiation between permitted, neutral and forbidden foods.

Since fresh food is always to be bought and prepared, a higher expenditure of time and money is to be expected.

Risks of food combining

Health risks are not to be feared with the food combining method according to Hay. Other food combining concepts, on the other hand, should not be used permanently.

According to the current state of knowledge, it is unclear whether a predominantly base-rich diet prevents the accumulation of acids in the connective tissue and can thus prevent civilization diseases. There is also no scientific evidence that dairy products cause the intestinal mucosa to stick together.

Food combining: conclusion

Food combining is only for people who like to follow rules in a disciplined manner. There is no scientific justification for separating protein and carbohydrates. However, those who lose weight with food combining do not harm their health.

You may also like

Leave a Comment