Home Medicinal Plants Porcini mushroom and bile boletus

Porcini mushroom and bile boletus

by Josephine Andrews
Published: Last Updated on 365 views

The porcini mushroom is delicious and therefore in great demand. However, if a piece of bile boletus accidentally ends up being the fungal meal, unpleasant gastrointestinal problems can result. Read more about the porcini mushroom and its inedible double here!

Edible mushroom: porcini or master mushroom (Boletus edulis)

Everyone knows the porcini mushroom: With its shape and appearance, it corresponds to the classic image of a mushroom. It is also one of the most popular edible mushrooms. However, it is under protection because fewer and fewer porcini mushrooms are growing, especially near the city. In addition, it is often infested with maggots.

The porcini mushroom can be found all over Europe, especially in coniferous and mixed forests – often in the mountains – standing alone or in groups. It belongs to the tube fungi: pores can be seen on the underside of the cap , which represent the end of countless small tubes. The color of the hat is whitish in young mushrooms, later light to dark brown. The hat measures between five and 25 centimeters in diameter. The stem of the porcini mushroom is between five and 15 centimeters high.

Doppelganger: gall boletus (Tylopius felleus)

Even a small piece of the bile bolete can spoil an entire mushroom meal. Although this mushroom is not poisonous, it is simply inedible due to its pronounced bitterness.

Like the porcini mushroom, the gall boletus belongs to the fungi and grows primarily in coniferous and mixed forests. The brown mushroom has a 5 to 20 centimeters high stalk and a cap diameter of five to twelve, sometimes up to 20 centimeters. The young specimens in particular are at risk of being confused with the porcini mushroom: the older a gall boletus is, the more the initially spherical hat curves upwards and the initially white pores on the underside turn grey-pink.

Distinction: Test with the tongue on the mushroom cap whether the taste is bitter. If so, don’t eat.

Possible symptoms: The gallbladder is not poisonous, but can cause gastrointestinal problems.

You may also like

Leave a Comment