Home Medicinal Plants Nebula cap and giant boletus

Nebula cap and giant boletus

by Josephine Andrews
387 views

The fog cap is edible when cooked, but inedible or poisonous when raw. If you still want to collect this mushroom, you should be careful not to confuse it – for example with the very poisonous giant boletus. You can find out more about the two mushrooms here!

Edible mushroom: Nebula Cap, Gray Cap (Clitocybe nebularis)

Especially in late autumn, the fog cap is a common edible mushroom. However, it should only be eaten cooked, otherwise it is poisonous. However, some people do not tolerate it very well even then and get gastrointestinal problems – these people should generally avoid the fungus.

In Europe, the fog cap is widespread. The fungus is often found in large numbers, especially in deciduous and coniferous forests. The stem is between five and twelve centimeters high. The hat measures six to 15, sometimes up to 18 centimeters in diameter. It is matt light gray to grey-brown in colour. The lamellae on the underside of the hat are white to off-white, break very easily and can be easily detached from the hat. The flesh of the mist cap has an overpowering sweetish-spicy odor.

Doppelganger: giant botany (Entoloma sinuatum)

The greatest risk of confusion is with still young specimens of giant botrytis. It owes its name to the rather reddish colored spores. They turn the initially yellowish lamellae salmon-colored as the fungus ages.

In Germany, the giant botrytis is rarely found, as it is one of the warmth-loving species. It grows singly or in witch rings, especially in sparse deciduous forests and on the edges of forests and paths. The stalk of the mushroom is between five and twelve, sometimes up to 15 centimeters high. The hat has a diameter of five to 17 centimeters, is whitish, light gray or pale purple-grey in colour.

Distinction: The bright lamellae of the nebula cap are the best feature to distinguish the mushroom from the giant boletus. This first has whitish, then light yellowish and later salmon-colored lamellae, which – unlike the fog cap – cannot be detached from the hat so easily. The meat of the giant russet is shiny white and smells of flour.

Possible symptoms: The giant bolete is very poisonous. Fifteen minutes to three or four hours after consumption, the most severe gastrointestinal complaints appear, such as diarrhea, which can last for several days.

You may also like

Leave a Comment