Oleander

by Josephine Andrews
Published: Last Updated on 441 views

Occurrence

The original distribution area of ​​the oleander is the Mediterranean area. In Central Europe, the oleander is a popular pot and tub plant that adorns balconies, terraces and gardens.

Looks

The oleander belongs to the dogbane family and can grow up to five meters high as a tree or shrub. The leaves are oblong and pointed, leathery and evergreen. Oleanders have white, red or pink flowers from July to October.

Toxic parts

The entire plant (leaves, flowers, bark, etc.) is poisonous. The main active ingredients are compounds that affect the heart and circulation (so-called glycosides). However, since all parts of the plant taste bitter, large amounts of the poison are only very rarely ingested through consumption.

Possible symptoms

Skin rashes are possible when touched. If parts of the oleander (e.g. flowers or leaves) are eaten, the following symptoms of poisoning can occur: burning, reddening and numbness of the tongue and throat, nausea , vomiting, spasms, cardiac arrhythmia, respiratory paralysis, shock, slowed pulse, dilated pupils, shortness of breath and blue lips and hands. Death can occur two to three hours after ingesting the oleander poison.

First aid

Remove any plant debris that may still be in the mouth. Subsequent fluid intake makes sense. Avoid milk, however, because it can promote the absorption of the poison. In any case, consult a doctor, especially if you experience any of the above symptoms. The poison information center can also provide helpful first aid tips.

useful information

In fact, it has happened that people have poisoned themselves with honey from oleander flowers. In addition, especially in the USA, people use branches of oleander bushes as meat skewers for grilling. Poisoning has also occurred.

You may also like

Leave a Comment