Home Medicinal Plants Poinsettia –

Poinsettia –

by Josephine Andrews
Published: Last Updated on 155 views

Occurrence

The poinsettia originally comes from Mexico. It is a popular ornamental plant at Christmas time.

Looks

The poinsettia is a shrubby plant with ovate-elongated, long-stalked leaves. It grows up to a meter tall. The inflorescences themselves are very inconspicuous, but have bright red, pink, or white bracts. Flowering time is from November to March.

Toxic parts

The whole plant is poisonous, especially the whitish milky sap. It comes out when you injure the plant. The main active ingredients are beta-amyrin and germanicol.

Possible symptoms

Typical symptoms of poisoning with spurge plants such as the poinsettia are tremors, vomiting, diarrhea, drowsiness and drowsiness. If the milky juice gets on the skin or mucous membranes, it can cause redness. Inhaling the pollen can trigger allergic reactions.

First aid

Remove any plant debris that may still be in the mouth. Subsequent fluid intake makes sense. Avoid milk, however, because it can promote the absorption of the poison. In any case, consult a doctor, especially if you experience any of the above symptoms. The poison information center can also provide helpful first aid tips.

useful information

There are also non-poisonous and less poisonous cultivated forms of the poinsettia. However, it is difficult for a layperson to tell the difference between poisonous and non-poisonous by appearance.

You may also like

Leave a Comment