Home Medicinal Plants Almost all mushrooms are poisonous raw, but many plants are valued precisely for their poison.

Almost all mushrooms are poisonous raw, but many plants are valued precisely for their poison.

by Josephine Andrews
Published: Last Updated on 201 views

Did you know that almost all mushrooms are inedible or even poisonous when raw? Or that many plants are valued precisely because of their poison? We have eleven interesting bits of knowledge for you!

1. Almost all mushrooms are inedible to poisonous when raw. The difference to the real toadstools – by cooking or steaming, the substances decompose and make the mushrooms edible. Exceptions are the species known as “salad mushrooms”, for example the cultivated mushroom.

2. The wrinkled inkling is harmless in itself – but woe to those who consume it together with alcohol. Because an ingredient in the mushroom called coprin prevents the alcohol from being broken down in the body. Reddening of the face, increased heart rate, palpitations, hot flashes and dizzy spells can result when toxic intermediate products of alcohol accumulate in the body. Medically, this is known as Coprin syndrome.

3. The “Kahler Krempling” mushroom is extremely poisonous when raw. Cooked, it is usually still well tolerated when consumed for the first time. But then an allergy builds up, which can have fatal consequences with the next Krempling meal. Because the body forms antigen-antibody complexes in the blood against components of this fungus. Repeated consumption can lead to kidney damage and hemolysis – the breakdown of red blood cells.

4. Some mushroom species are known to be particularly good at absorbing and storing radioactive particles. These include, for example, the chestnut boletus and the bread stubble mushroom. Collectors with smartphones can test the levels of radioactive particles in a mushroom using an app developed by scientists. To do this, the photo sensor is covered with black tape so that only the radioactive radiation emanating from the fungus hits the sensor.

5. If you eat wild mushrooms regularly, you should make sure that it is not more than 200 to 250 grams per week – not only because of the radioactive contamination of many mushrooms, but also because of the heavy metals they often contain (such as lead, mercury).

6. True mushroom poisoning is caused by eating poisonous mushrooms. In the case of fake mushroom poisoning, you have eaten mushrooms that are actually edible. But because they were too old, too long or stored incorrectly, prepared incorrectly or consumed together with alcohol, symptoms of poisoning occurred.

7. Real mushroom poisoning in Central Europe is often caused by the consumption of the death cap mushroom. As little as 50 grams of fresh mushrooms can be fatal to an adult. The so-called amatoxins are toxic in it – five to seven milligrams can cost an adult life through multiple organ failure. For children, a twentieth of the dose is sufficient.

8. Plant poison can also appear in unexpected places. The flowers of some rhododendron species contain the toxin grayanotoxin. It causes acute symptoms of poisoning such as dizziness, drop in blood pressure, slow heartbeat, paralysis, nausea , vomiting and diarrhea. The poison accumulates in the honey made by bees, which mainly visit these flowers. However, there is only a danger where the plant occurs very often. This is the case, for example, on the Turkish Black Sea coast.

9. Many cases of plant poisoning are intentional – users hope to get an intoxicating effect from smoking or eating some plants.

10. A non-poisonous but still potentially dangerous plant is the peanut. Their small, oily nuts cause choking attacks, especially in children, more often than, for example, toys that are accidentally swallowed.

11. Many poisonous plants are highly valued for their medicinal properties: in correct doses, they are important medicinal plants . This applies, for example, to the thimble : it contains the so-called digoxin, which is used to treat heart problems.

You may also like

Leave a Comment