Home Medicinal Plants Violet Red Knight and Purple Dickfoot

Violet Red Knight and Purple Dickfoot

by Josephine Andrews

A violet coloration is common to both fungi – the edible purple bark and the mildly poisonous purple thickfoot. You can find out more about the similarities and differences between the two types of mushrooms here!

Edible mushroom: Violet Knightling (Lepista nuda)

The Violet Red Knight lives up to its name: it is purple from hat to toe. This also includes the lamellae and the mycelium. However, the young red-necked knightling is more lilac-colored, while older mushrooms are more brownish – here the cap also curves upwards. The hat measures five to twelve, sometimes up to 15 centimeters in diameter. The stem is five to twelve centimeters high.

Only the young specimens are suitable for preparation. The mushroom is poisonous when raw, so it should always be cooked. The fleshy, violet fruit body has a sweet, aromatic taste.

The Red Knight is widespread in Europe, you can find it mainly in forests, but also in parks and gardens.

Lookalike: Purple Thickfoot (Cortinarius traganus)

The thickened stem base is why this mushroom is called thick foot. Its color is also purple – but the flesh here is brownish-yellow to reddish-yellow. Cobweb-like scraps can often be found between the edge of the hat and the base of the stem. This is a typical feature of the mushroom species of the Veil relatives, to which the purple thickfoot belongs. In addition, the thick foot is never slimy, but always feels dry. Its handle is five to ten centimeters high, the hat diameter is five to twelve centimeters.

The purple thickfoot grows mainly in coniferous forests and on acidic soil.

Distinction: In contrast to the purple saffron, the purple thickfoot smells repellent (disgustingly sweet) and tastes bitter – this usually prevents it from being eaten accidentally. In addition, it has yellowish flesh, no purple lamellae, and no smooth hat casing.

Possible symptoms: Less than four hours after consumption, purple thickfoot triggers gastrointestinal complaints (vomiting, diarrhea). Even if it is only slightly toxic, a doctor should be consulted.

You may also like

Leave a Comment